Your story

Holy Trinity is a wonderful repository of stories - about the church itself through the decades, and of the people who have been worshippers, plus countless others who either had family christenings, marriages or funeral services there.

When the Holy Trinity Support Group was out on the streets with its petition seeking the retention and repair of the church, a major response among the thousands who signed was of great grandparents, grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, and friends, who were married there. It was indeed a particularly popular setting for weddings, and that's not in the least surprising considering the beautiful setting.

Here are stories about people's links with the church. If you would like to share your memories about this holy place, please Contact Us.

    Bibles and Baptisms

Harry Grimsey's story is of a Bible, and through the holy book another family's many ties with Holy
Trinity. Harry (Henry Charles), now 77, is of Main Street, Huonville, and his antecedents were among the
many early settlers who left England for a new life in Tasmania.
And as was the spiritual way of life of the times, the family Bible came with them - in 1855 when free
settlers Frederick and Ann Needham, their recently born daughter Sarah Edith, and a sister of Frederick's,
made the long sea journey out.
But as also happened with other families, there was an earlier connection, for Frederick's father, Joshua
Needham, was sent from England to Van Diemen's Land as a convict. From Suffolk, and a painter, he had
found himself on the wrong side of the law over a stolen silver plate.
And so it was that Joshua left Portsmouth in December of 1840 aboard the Lady Raffles and made landfall
in Hobart the following mid-March. He became foreman of a convict gang building the road to New
Norfolk, and later, still as a convict, went to farm work in the Huon.
After serving his sentence, he sent for his wife, who came out with two of their daughters in 1854, before
the Bible-carrying Frederick in 1855; Joshua, born in 1800, died in Hobart in 1880.
In 1875, Sarah Edith married Thomas Grimsey, thus forging a new lineage, but there was homage paid to
her family when, in 1930, in memory of her father Frederick (born 1827, died 1901 and who had been a
Government messenger) she gave the Bible to Holy Trinity.
As we shall see, there was added significance in the year of presentation.
Sarah's grandson, Henry James Grimsey, was born in 1906 and through his life had many ties with Holy
Trinity - he was baptised and confirmed there, was a Sunday School student, choir boy, was married in
the church in 1927, and had his funeral there, in 1996.
His son Harry - provider of this family history - was born in 1930 and baptised in the church, a few
months after the presentation of the Bible.
The rector was Archdeacon Donald Burns Blackwood, Holy Trinity's World War One chaplain hero
(whose story is recorded in our Beyond the Trenches feature).
The Mercury of March 24, 1930, had this to say of Archdeacon's dedication of this Bible for a place on
the lectern: "It is almost an exact replica of the Bible on the other side of the Lectern. This was given to
Holy Trinity by Archdeacon and Mrs Davenport in 1880 in memory of 26 years of happy ministry of the
Archdeacon in Holy Trinity parish."
Grove, Mountain River and Huon orchards have figured in the Grimsey story through the years, and for
Harry there has also been an involvement in the church throughout his life.
Bibles, baptisms and further enduring stitches in the rich family fabric that is Holy Trinity. Harry says he
shares the anguish of scores of other families who have had a personal association with Holy Trinity and
who now see a very uncertain future for the building they cherish.

View other stories

Hold mouse over image to enlarge
( it might take some time )

Login